Wednesday 7 May 2008

Kayak Journal - Lee on Solent to Chilling

Wednesday 7th May 2008

Following the usual stretch of coast with Gav, we paddled from Lee on Solent along to Chilling, then off-shore about a mile before heading back east on the tide, getting a lot of tidal assistance. Once almost back at Lee, we headed in. Just a two hour jaunt for the morning, before Gav had to start work.

Once back on the beach, I decided it was time to test out some new kit - my Peak Storm Dry Pants, combined with my Chota Mukluks and Yak Vision top.

Not surprisingly, the boots filled after a minute or so submerged. The neoprene socks soon warmed my feet up though. Wading in deeper up to my chest in the water, after a minute or so, I felt a cold bead of water run down my waste. I could not tell if it stopped of continued. Shortly after, I felt the same on my right leg. I also thought I could feel cool water on my lower legs after a bit longer.

Once out of the water and peeled off, I found that my upper body had remained dry. The long johns I had worn under my dry trousers were wet on the lower legs and damp at the sides of my hips where I had felt the cold water, but dry everywhere else between, including behind and in front and all of my legs except the ankles.

It seems that the leg seals seep very slowly, the waste seeps more readily when moving and the Mukluks hold a lot of water! This suggests that it would be fine for a quick swim / reentry, but not good for an extended dunking.

The next test will be the waist seal without the dry top and the final test, the lot with the spray deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment